Over the past week, a lot has gone on in our lives. Some things have been enjoyable, and one thing was difficult. However, we have learned even more about God's dedication to us... that He is a healer and He is peace.
Last Tuesday night, we received a call from my (Jes') father letting us know that my grandmother had passed away. I was filled with two conflicting feelings. There was sorrow with a combination of relief. She didn't have to fight her battle any longer. You see, my grandmother had been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease for almost 6 years. She had suddenly declined the weekend before she passed away. She stopped eating and drinking... before we knew it, she was unresponsive. She was a woman of God who taught me so much about the love of God and His purpose for life. She was the true "Proverbs 31" woman! I am honored to have known her and to have shared such love and devotion with her!
After I hung up the phone, I looked over at Brett. He wrapped his arms around me and just held me as I cried. No words needed to be said. Throughout the funeral planning, the services, and the rest of the emotional aftermath, God has used my husband in many ways. He has been patient, understanding, humble, helpful, and a leader that has sought to remind me of God's ultimate will. He even rented the old movie "Babe" for us to watch. (Nothing like an amazing feel-good movie.) I was so blessed to have my husband during this difficult time. Let me tell you... Brett is definately the lifelong love and companion that my dreams were made of!
Amidst all of this, we managed to make some wonderful memories! My husband who has an angelic voice sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness" at the ceremony before my grandmother's funeral. This was an answer to prayer for my whole family!
Also, we went shopping for some furniture deals at the Furniture Capital of the USA - HIGH POINT, NC!!! Well, we didn't find anything... After this, Brett was exposed to the one and only Hospice BBQ & Auction which took place on Saturday night! What a blast - perfect BBQ, slaw (as us southerners say), baked beans, hushpuppies, and homemade desserts! I think we both got our "BBQ Fix" for the next while. We have also enjoyed heating things up in the kitchen - we made chicken and spinach stuffed ravioli from scratch, enjoyed some homemade lasagna, made pumpkin pancakes, and grilled hamburgers served with mozzarella cheese and fresh pesto!
Whether it is cooking together, singing together, praying together, dancing in the kitchen, or doing laundry together - God continues to bind us into greater unity through His goodness!
Till next time & with love,
Jes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. Brett and I can really understand how hard it is to lose a grandparent!
I'm so glad that you guys are living, growing, and facing life together. We love you both. Patrick, Jana, & Hannah
Sorry about your grandmother.
Great is Thy Faithfulness is such an amazing song
There is nothing like having the assurance that our lost loved ones are in Heaven.
I'm praying for you and your family!
love you guys! You make mne smile!
Post a Comment