Yes that's right, we're expecting. Not exactly in the typical way, but we have been on an amazing journey this year and we're excited to share it! We've known for many years that God would provide a family for us through the gift of adoption. Now, we're just waiting to see it all play out!
How we got here...
We talked about adopting children before getting married, but our perspective has changed over the last few years as we have learned more about ourselves, adoption and how God has planned to create our family. We've come to see that adoption is not our "only option" or a "plan B," it is God's "plan A" for us and has been his plan for us all along. We believe that He's sovereign over all and that our circumstances have been uniquely designed to lead us to adoption and to provide a home for the child(ren) He has picked out for us.
Choosing an Agency and the process...
After lots of prayer and feeling confirmation in many different ways, we chose an adoption agency and preliminarily applied to the agency at the beginning of June. We found out that we were formally accepted on July 2nd. We found this out right before boarding the plane to visit with family in Kansas. It was perfect timing to be able to share this great news with both sides of our family!
After being accepted into the agency's domestic adoption program, we entered the paperwork process. This is a very time-consuming and in-depth process, but we actually enjoyed it and learned a lot about one another and had to think and talk a lot about how we plan to parent. We are both very thankful because completing the paperwork helped us to get even more excited about becoming parents! We also had training classes and informational meetings with our agency and with others that are adopting in July and August. Finally, our home study began in September. The home study consisted of three meetings with our social worker (who, by the way is the sister of one of our close friends... how special is that!?!) over the course of about 4-6 weeks. We finished this part of the process in mid-October. Our social worker finished writing our official home study report on October 26th and submitted it to the agency's State Director for approval. We were just notified this past Thursday, November 4th, that our home study was officially approved and that we are a "waiting family"! We also have completed and ordered our profile books (photo books that are shown to the birthparents) and those will arrive later this week.
What happens next?
We will be adopting an infant, most likely from North Carolina...and we will probably bring Baby Crisp home from the hospital. We are so excited!!! With domestic-infant adoption, adoptive parents are chosen by the birthparents. Our agency has told us that adoptive parents are typically "matched" during the birthmom's third trimester. This means that we may have a few months notice or we may have no notice at all. Because of this, we wanted to go ahead and get a few things ready (like our nursery - pics to come in another post!) so that we will be prepared whenever we might get "the call."
We don't know how long it might take, but we are embracing the time of waiting and know that God will bring us our baby in His perfect timing.
We would ask that you please keep us in your prayers in the coming days, weeks and months as we continue to prepare our hearts and our home for Baby Crisp! We have lots of faith, but there is also so much uncertainty ahead.
Check back on our blog for updates (we promise to be better about posting)!
10 comments:
I would like to say that I am so VERY excited for you both! Jessica you are blessing to me everyday. I look forward (along with my family) to meeting baby Crisp. I have watched God bring to this place in your life and I know that baby Crisp will be very blessed with two wonderful parents.Love you and will continue to pray for you both.
I got chills when I read this. I don't know you very well, Jessica, but you have a warmth that reaches everyone around you! I look forward to following you on this journey!! Sooooo exciting!!
We have and will be continuing to pray for you both as well as sweet baby Crisp! Oh the joy that little one will bring! Praise the Lord for how He has orchestrated this path for your family. Sophia looks forward to having some play dates in the future! :)
LOVE YOU!
Bets
We are super excited for you (and Finley looks forward to a cousin)! We're praying that God will make the right match at the right time! When that happens, you'll both be wonderful parents!
Oh, and while you're waiting you should make a bucket list of things to do before becoming parents. You should do things like:
-go to nice restaurants where you can't take children
-go to the movies
-cook complicated, time-consuming meals just for fun
-be very spontaneous
-travel
-SLEEP!
These things will become more difficult soon, but of course it's totally worth it!
Brett and Jessica I am so happy for you both. I love you both dearly and miss you lots. Baby Crisp will bring such joys to you both and I am so excited for you. I know you will both be great parents and be a great inspiration to Baby Crisp. Can't wait to hear when the baby arrives. Love to you both. I will be praying all goes well.
So excited for you guys! We can't wait to get baby crisp in front of our camera!!! Love you guys!
Congratulations! :) I always loved being about both you guys at SWU because of your inspiration, funny senses of humor, and just general warmth and love. I hate that it's been years since we all hung out but just wanted to drop by and say congratulations and I know ya'll will be great parents! :)
Jessica, do you mind mentioning what agency you chose? Congratulations by the way!
-Shelly Moorhouse
Woo Hoo!!!! So excited to hear how the Lord brings Baby Crisp into your lives! Praying for this time to continue to be full of joy, hope and complete trust in Jesus. <3
Post a Comment