Yes. This blog is completely random.
Just recently, our Wal-Mart added a Red Box. What is this marvelous invention? For those of you that don't know, Red Box is where you can rent one of hundreds of movie titles for only $1 per night. That's right, $1!!! Everything at Wal-Mart is cheapo...and we like it that way. Now they have added movies. Prior to this discovery, we were avid Movie Gallery fans.
We are a regular at MG probably going there once every weekend or every two weeks.
Also, we really like the people that work at MG. We don't know all of their names, but we have kind of made names for a few of the employees. They are all around high school to early college age females. There's the girl with gorgeous hair (a.k.a. Pretty Hair Girl) and another girl that seems unhappy (a.k.a. Unhappy Girl). We first met these ladies about a year and a half ago. When we first met Unhappy Girl she had a frown on her face, tattoos on her arms with band-aids across one...she told us that the manager made her cover up the word....thus the band-aids. (side note: I have always wondered what it says...curiosity I guess) She shared the sentiment that almost all of us have experienced working part time jobs while being in school...it's a bummer. Honestly, she has always intrigued me. People tend to send different "vibes" across to the people they interact with.
One of the things that I appreciate about our marriage is that we encourage one another to be more outgoing. At some point Brett and I decided to start talking to these girls since we could tell that they get really bored working at the movie store. Over the past 18 months I think that our connection with these girls has grown...well, as much as it could with complete strangers who have nothing in common. It's kind of fun because they recognize us and we always try to be excited to see them and talk to them some when we are checking out. Unhappy Girl is also Great Smile girl, and she has a fun laugh if you get her going!
We first used the Red Box about 2 weeks ago, and it was great. Then we went back into Movie Gallery to find a specific movie. We spoke with Great Smile girl to ask if it has been hurting their business. She and Pretty Hair Girl (I really should remember their names...) said that they haven't seen much of a difference yet. We were glad to hear that.
Why does this matter?
Red Box = Saving Money Movie Gallery = More Expense + Opportunities for Interaction..... Ahh...it's all coming together right? My question is what should we do? It's not a question that will keep us up at night, or really even matter. All of this may seem silly, but I can't help but wonder the effect of the short interactions that we have with people. It can only take a minute to brighten someone's day or maybe change their outlook.
I think that we'll keep doing both from time to time, but it's just something to think about. Thanks for sticking with this post!
Have a great night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
My vote is for MG. The extra money spent is an investment in missions. Lots of things I love about you guys. Your heart to even think about the question (RB vs. MG) is one of them!
Really great post! I hope many are challenged by your question, me included. We all need to be aware of who we are interacting with and trying to make a difference in their lives if only for a brief moment. Keep your light shining!
I believe that interaction with the check-out persons at the local grocery is part of my ministry. God help me to be more effective at it.
Good post! Y'all are such a cute couple together! (And thanks for the encouragement you have given me!) :)
Hey, where are the puppy photos? We want puppy photos! :) Love you!
I just found this by chance and have to say you make a great point. As a MG employee, we have seen a big difference in our store since our town has two RB. The one thing these people are missing when they use this is the people interaction. It seems like everyone wants things quick, cheap, and at their finger tips, however, they forget how it affects the people at these stores. Thank you for much being a customer with the store!! Look for some great new things coming out in 2010 from MG.
Post a Comment