**Apparently all of the YouTube videos of the Kanye/Taylor incident have been removed.
It has been interesting to hear commentary on both of these events from multiple different viewpoints. I think that these instances and the attention following are a great glimpse into our culture. What was displayed in both instances was simply humanity...a great sense of entitlement and pride. Don't we all have instances when we feel wronged and say things we shouldn't or feel like we have a right to have our opinion heard? Although both of these examples are rather extreme, we have all done this on some level. Talking back to a parent or teacher or boss. Upstaging a friend because you feel the need to be the center of attention. I may not have ever threatened to stuff a tennis ball down anyone's throat, but I've mastered the use of sarcasm when being corrected.
In all honesty, I think what's taken place after these events reveals more than the events themselves. These events were major headlines and not just in entertainment or sports news. It's been interesting how social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) have been some of the major players. I think this is evidence of a few things: as a culture we are obsessed with celebrities and care more about their foot-in-mouth mishaps than major issues; media is changing - although this has been evident for a long time, I have been amazed at the coverage, especially the commentating and social media aspect of these events; people love to talk about, watch, listen to, gossip about, (blog about!) other peoples mistakes. Oh, how we love it when other people mess up. How sad.
I was disappointed in Serena and sickened by Kanye, but nevertheless, I can relate. It's a good reminder of the power of our words. Power to build up or tear down. Power to influence positively or negatively. Power to win or loose respect.
These few verses come to mind:
James 3:5 - "The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark."
Ephesians 4:29 - "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs that it may benefit those who listen."
Luke 6:45 - "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of the heart his mouth speaks."
What is overflowing from your heart to your mouth? Instead of obsessing on these unfortunate mistakes from last weekend, let's spend a few minutes examining our own selves.
2 comments:
Great post, Brett.
PS - I didn't realize that you hadn't written the previous post as well and got a little concerned up until reading the word 'aunt'. Phew. ;)
Haha...I could see how that would give cause for concern!
Post a Comment